A Demon who Heals

If you have searched my Chinese and Japanese Calligraphy Dictionary, and did not find the word or title that you were looking for, we'll be happy to add it for you. Just tell us the word or title you want, and what it means to you.
kylep

A Demon who Heals

Post by kylep » Jun 19, 2015 7:32 am

Hello,

I am very interested in getting a wall scroll for my husband. I would love it to read "A Demon who Heals" in Japanse kanji. It's a poetic description of someone who feels like they are damned and unsavable, yet commits to helping heal others.

From what I can tell, it might be something like "Iyashi akuma" or 癒し悪魔. Am I close?

Thanks so much -- I love your work and look forward to seeing what it will look like!

Cheers,
Meg

Gary
The Boss

Re: A Demon who Heals

Post by Gary » Jun 22, 2015 8:34 pm

Something like that...

癒し悪魔 Is something like "Therapy Demon". Well, 癒し犬 is therapy dog anyway. 癒し means healing; soothing; therapy; comfort; solace.

I need to consult a native Japanese translator to get this to be more natural. Being OK at conversational Japanese does not qualify me to compose new titles like this.

The expensive way to do this is hire a native Japanese translator, get a good translation, then order the artwork from the calligrapher.

The cheaper way is to have you order this rough version from a Japanese calligrapher, and have the calligrapher correct it as needed before she writes it.

You can do that here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options.php?cname=Demon+that+Cures&cimg=30290+12375+24746+39764

Cheers,
-Gary.

kylep

Re: A Demon who Heals

Post by kylep » Jun 27, 2015 10:02 am

Thank you! I just placed the order (ID 18310). Let's go with your cheaper suggestion. Please choose whatever calligrapher is best. I would also love any additional details about how it reads from the artist. Thanks again!